Invisalign For Adults
What comes to mind when you hear the word “orthodontics”? You probably think of a young teenager whose teeth are covered by a latticework of metal. So many people think that orthodontics is specifically created for children. We know that many adults do not feel as though they should be wearing braces and are extremely hesitant to try any form of orthodontic treatment.
While there are indeed many orthodontic patients who fit that description, there now exists an increasingly popular alternative to traditional metal braces called Invisalign® clear aligners. Invisalign for adults is one of the best ways that you can get perfectly straight teeth without having to resort to braces or other permanent forms of orthodontic appliances.
As the name implies, Invisalign clear aligners are made of almost invisible polyurethane plastic. Rather than being cemented or bonded to the teeth as metal or clear braces are, clear aligners are completely removable — for important social occasions, for eating, and, most importantly, for tooth-brushing and flossing. This advantage can also be a disadvantage: It means you must resist the temptation to take your aligners out more than is advised.
Here are some other advantages of the Invisalign system:
- Improved Oral Hygiene — with an orthodontic appliance that is removable, you will be able to clean your teeth much more easily than if you were wearing metal braces.
- A Discreet Look — If you consider your orthodontic treatment to be a private matter, or simply feel that metal braces don’t fit with your self-image, a practically invisible form of orthodontic treatment might suit you.
- More Dietary Choices — to protect metal wires and braces, some diet modifications are necessary. With clear aligners, you can still bite into an apple or a crispy pizza crust.
- Comfort — the soft, flexible material of which Invisalign is made will not irritate the soft tissues of the mouth, as metal wires and braces can.
- Teeth-Grinding Protection — if you have a teeth grinding or clenching habit, clear aligners can function as thin night guards that will protect your teeth from excessive wear.
Clear aligner technology has improved over the years and can correct many malocclusions that once would have been too complicated for this form of treatment. There are still some situations for which traditional braces would still be best. At Chestermere Station Orthodontics, we would be happy to discuss this or any other orthodontics issue in detail with you at your initial complimentary consultation.